Monday, November 22, 2010

Something to be Grateful For

The fabulous Mike Durbin has challenged his fellow diabetes bloggers to post each day of Thanksgiving Week to acknowledge blessings we've received as a result of diabetes.

I don't know that I'm going to make it to seven: I don't know that I'm going to make it to two. (I've written several posts in the last couple of days, and I feel the hot breath of laziness close upon the back of my neck.)

But, this one is a big one.

See, one of the things I think a person needs for a full life is something to be involved in, a way of doing good that absolutely nobody in authority expects you to do. To qualify in my mind, the "cause" would be something that no employer, family member, or even church leader that would attempt to make me do. Purely voluntary, done solely from belief and passion. Political or social movements, charities, community organizations, teaching kids to read - there are thousands of things a person could do along these lines.

Now, I've got diabetes. Diabetes provides a focus for my efforts. I tell my story as part of my efforts, and I try to provide a little support. Some of what I do is intended to help the larger Diabetes Online Community better understand Type 2, but mostly I just seek through blogs and tweets to lighten peoples' loads just a little bit. While I may someday do more to represent diabetes to society as a whole, what I'm doing now feels productive and worthwhile.

I'm grateful for something to do.

I went a long time without finding something that fit for me. Sure, I've done a whole bunch of little things, but I've not have a specifiec

3 comments:

  1. AWEsome post, Bob! Thanks for the shout out and for participating in Diabetes Blessings Week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Bob!!! Thank YOU so much for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your little things cumulate to something very big. Thank you, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
T Minus Two by Bob Pedersen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.