Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Brief Review - OneTouch Delica lancing device

(2/3/11 - I'm editing this to remove a word that draws a lot of folks to this post, many of whom are probably disappointed. -BP)

So the pharmacy chain I use gave me a good coup** for the new Delica lancing device and lancets, which is supposed to be a less painful way to do blood tests.  I don't actually have a lot of problems with testing being too painful, except for the apparently random occasion when it hurts like a mother.  But, I thought I'd give it a try.

The device achieves (or not) its goal of reduced pain in three ways. The lancing device features "glide control". (If you know what that means, that makes one of us.  Maybe the flight path, if you will, is straighter?)  The device is designed to for less vibration, presumably meaning it's doing less damage inside the finger.  And the needle is the smallest (33g) OneTouch offers.

(The lancets are not compatible with the device I got with my OneTouch meter.  I tried.)

I did about five or six pricks.  And, I gotta say, the thing does seem more comfortable than either my other OneTouch device or my MultiClix.  The vibration thing may account for my needing to squeeze a bit to produce a sample.  On the other hand, I was able to get a sample at setting four out of seven, and my other devices need me to be at about the highest setting.  So, it could be that the Delica would be an improvement for folks needing a deeper jab to get a sample.

My plan is to pass the Delica along to a T2 friend who's complained about her lancing device being painful.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:53 PM

    Thanks for the review, Bob. Haven't historically had any pain issues myself, except the ones you describe of hitting it in that oh-so-right way that it stings (had one today!). May have to give this a try, though, just to see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a more extensive review, complete with the pictures I was too lazy to take, at http://dontfeardiabetes.com/2010/06/onetouch-delica-my-first-product-review/.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
T Minus Two by Bob Pedersen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.