Thursday, February 25, 2010

Small Victories

I was recently reading a post by Babs Campbell, and one phrase she used plugged into something I've been thinking a bit about.  In their first meeting, she wrote, her endo had said "You learn to eat right when you congratulate yourself on minor wins rather than attacking yourself for occasional misses."

As is true with many people, I'm much more proficient at the "attacking yourself" than I am at the "congratulating myself".  Sometimes, my efforts at healthy living feel like an unending Sahara Desert of failure.  The truth, of course, is much more complicated -- each day is a mix of good and less-than-good choices.  While I know in my head that I can't win by stressing the negative, taking credit for the victories and being gentle about the losses runs really counter to the way I handle things.

I'm going to work on taking a quick inventory of the small wins at the end of each day.  This may help turn around the sense of powerlessness I often feel over my own behavior in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
T Minus Two by Bob Pedersen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.