Friday, August 06, 2010

A Quick Tip on Brown Rice

If you like rice and recognize that brown rice might be better for you, but find that you don't like the texture, check to see if the market where you shop has medium-grain or short-grain brown rice available. The different "lengths" of rice are actually quite different, and cook up differently. I find that the short and medium grain brown rices much have a softer texture than the long-grain when cooked. It's still not as soft as white rice, but nearly so. And, in my experience, short and medium grains don't get hard in the refrigerator. (I can even enjoy it cold, but I'm a little weird that way.)

As with beans, you can create some great-tasting dishes by adding spices or other flavorings to the cooking liquid. I love using reduced-sodium chicken stock for this.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip Bob. It's little things like this that help me. I'm so darn ignorant on healthy food choices that I don't even know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
T Minus Two by Bob Pedersen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.