Monday, February 07, 2011

The iPod Alphabet Game

My friend Kim recently did a blog post in which she compiled a playlist in which she tried to have artists for each letter of the alphabet. (She was missing only "X" and "Z".)

I decided to do something similar. By an large, I listened to only one song/piece per artist/composer. Also, I used artist in the case of pop or jazz and composer in the case of classical music.

I am missing FOUR letters: N, U, X, and Y. The N makes me crazy - such a weird letter to be missing, but I'm pretty sure. I almost downloaded some Yes the night I compiled this, but decided not to cheat.

(The rumor that I called Palestrina an "obnoxious brat" when his music started coming out is vicious and unfounded. I thought he was a pretty nice kid.)

America: A Horse With No Name (Remastered Version)
Brahms, Johannes: A German Requiem (7 movements)
Copland, Aaron: Fanfare for the Common Man
Dave Brubeck Quartet: Take Five
Enya: Caribbean Blue
Dave Frishberg: My Attorney Bernie
Gershwin, George: Rhapsody In Blue
Heart: Rock and Roll (Live)
Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Elton John: Bennie and the Jets
Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins: There'll Be Some Changes Made
Led Zeppelin: Black Dog
The Manhattan Transfer: Operator
Oldfield, Mike: Tubular Bells 2003 (17 sections)
Palestrina, Giovanni: Missa pro Defunctis (5 movements)
Queen & David Bowie: Under Pressure
JoaquĆ­n Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez (3 sections)
Sibelius, Jean: Finlandia, Op. 26
Traffic: The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys
The Ventures: Hawaii Five-O (theme from original TV series)
Williams, Ralph Vaughan: Fantasia On Greensleeves
ZZ Top: Cheap Sunglasses (Remastered Live Version)

2 comments:

  1. I think I have you beat, Bob... I've heard of at least TEN of these artists. ;) Nice list, and thanks for the nod! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tmana8:41 AM

    The first group that came to mind when you said "N" was "Nirvana" (though I'm not familiar with their music); also, "Nine Inch Nails" in the modern era. Then I did a quick perusal of my music collection and found R. Carlos Nakai (mostly Navaho-inspired music on traditional instruments) and Nightnoise (Celtic New Age). "U2" comes immediately to mind for "U" (again, I could not name one of their songs off the top of my head), as does "Yanni" (definitely NOT my taste) for "Y" -- Yehudi Menhuin (sp?) would be a better choice of performer there. Still not sure about "X", though.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
T Minus Two by Bob Pedersen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.