Saturday, February 12, 2011

Small Victories: Emergency Pizza


(I apologize for the image quality - I really need to find my digital camera.)

One of my purposes in my pursuit of greater cooking skills was to have alternatives to expensive megacaloric pizza delivery when the cravings strike. Not I-guess-this-is-okay self-denying alternatives, but yum-this-really-hits-the-spot alternatives.

Just tonight I was thinking thinking how could pizza sounded. And then I thought about the fresh cheese I made last weekend, which won't last much longer. And a plan began to form in my mind.

What you see pictured (well, sort of see, anyway) is:
1 "sandwich thin", split
On each 1/2 thin:
~1 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto (commercial, left over from another project
~1 tbsp pickled roasted red pepper, chopped
Sprinkling of salt
I put 'em on a cooking sheet and baked 'em at 350 F for maybe 5 minutes. (Could have used a few more, actually.)

There are probably a googol of variations on this procedure, which is itself a variation of the "English muffin pizza". It's not technically low-fat, since the cheese was made from whole milk, but the amount I consumed is a fraction of what I'd have eaten if I'd ordered pizza. (And I'd have been eating it all weekend!)

The result? It was hot, and creamy, and had TONS of flavor. I'm no longer hungry, and (this is key) I don't have a sense of deprivation that could lay the groundwork for trouble later.

We have to grab the small victories, friends, grab them and hold them tightly to our chests. Big victories don't come around often, but a number of small victories MAKE a big victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
T Minus Two by Bob Pedersen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.